Saturday, February 14, 2009

Don't Mess with Orang Ulu

To whoever feel that he or she is an orang ulu tribe from Sarawak. Here is some comment to looked at. Feel it, taste it, think about it..

amdeesidik said...


Hi friend, I’m from Sabah born in Sipitang. My parent’s house is only a stone throw away from the border between Sabah and Sarawak.I’ve about a quarter of my family live in Sarawak, a quarter in Brunei, a quarter in Labuan and the last quarter is in Sabah-so I’m very Borneo.My grandfather must be from an ethnic of Murut; Kadayan looked after him since a child.

Here I’m Kadayan.Talking about Murut, in Sabah alone it has no less than seven sub-Muruts; mind you this doesn’t include what you called Lundbawang in Sarawak and Lundayah in Sabah. This funny ethnic have two ethnic names but of the same people. My Murut grandfather isn’t really Murut but Lundayah/Lunbawang. I find it stupid too, upon finding out Lundayah and Lunbawang are of the same. So what is a name for?

It looks to me Sarawak ethnics are having problem with their names- I don’t think the name of an ethnic can be changed like the way we change our shirts. Now the Kadazan and the Dusun are having identity problem in Sabah, why would Sarawak Orang Ulu follow suit?

I don’t see anything wrong being called Orang Ulu. The Kadayan people used to be called Orang Darat, what better name was it compare to Orang Ulu, no different! When I was the President of Sabah Kadayan Association, I was just as important as chief minister, why do I have to feel inferior because of name. Very few people heard about Kadayan until I bulldozed telling those in front of me that I’m just as human as anyone.

Have very little space here-but I can be contacted-I’m happy to be invited if you do hold any talk on this subject in the future-by the way I used to be in legal profession now spent most of my time as law lecturer and writer- find my books to know me. amcdii@yahoo.co.uk, hattp://kadayanjournal.com/

No comments: